Find Out if You’re Eligible and How to Apply for Benefits Under this Social Security Program

    For people with long-time, permanent health problems that have never allowed them to work much, Social Security Disability benefits a program called “Disabled Adult Child,” or DAC, benefits, can be a financial lifeline.

    This is for you, or someone in your family, who had a qualifying physical or mental impairment before age 22 and whose parents have qualifying credits with Social Security because of their work history.

    Benefits can provide monthly checks to help with essential expenses and allow access to Medicare health coverage. They’re a vital piece of living a full life as a person with disabilities.

    The Social Security Administration (SSA) uses the word “child” in this case because your benefits are based on your parent or parents’ Social Security record. You don’t need to be their biological child. Adopted children, stepchildren, grandchildren and sometimes even step-grandchildren can qualify.

    As with every application for Social Security Disability benefits, the process is long and complex. Most first-time applications are denied, leaving people with a short window to file an appeal.

    A disability lawyer can guide you in filling out forms, help you gather evidence, and keep you on track for winning Social Security Disability benefits.

    For people in Wisconsin, you can talk to Geary Disability Law. We’ve helped thousands of people win benefits.

    Contact Us Today!

    Are You Eligible for Disabled Adult Child (DAC) Benefits?

    If you’re over 18 and can’t work due to a health condition, you might qualify for DAC benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program.

    Benefits would continue for as long as you have a disability. To be eligible, all of the following must be true:

    • You’re not married.
    • Your condition met Social Security’s definition of a qualifying disability before you turned 22.
    • Your impairment has continued uninterrupted and made it impossible for you to work at any job.
    • At least one of your parents receives SSDI or Social Security retirement benefits, or if they are deceased, they were eligible for benefits at the time of death.

    If you have ever worked, you could apply for “Disabled Adult Child” (DAC) benefits using your own work record. However, your parent probably has a longer work history, meaning your benefit amount could be higher if you applied under their record.

    In the Fox Valley or Northeast Wisconsin, the Geary Disability Law firm can help you sort through the options for you and your family. We can take on the heavy work of applying for disability benefits, so you can rest easier knowing someone experienced is handling this for you.

    You don’t pay any fee for a disability lawyer until you win benefits.

    You can start by having an initial conversation with us at no cost to you.

    Get My Free Consultation!

    How to Apply for Social Security Disabled Adult Child Benefits

    When you’re applying for DAC benefits, gather the required documentation beforehand to make it easier.

    You will need:

    • Your birth certificate and Social Security number
    • Your doctor’s address and phone number
    • Copies of your medical records
    • Copies of your or your parent’s tax forms
    • Award letters, pay stubs, settlement agreements, or other proof of any temporary or permanent workers’ compensation-type benefits you have received

    Once you qualify for benefits, you’ll receive them on an ongoing, permanent basis, with occasional checks by Social Security to see if you’re still eligible.

    For people already receiving Disabled Adult Child benefits, certain events can cause Social Security to cancel them, including:

    1. You start working.
    2. Your medical condition changes, so you could start working.
    3. You don’t follow your physician’s treatment plan that was designed to help you gain the ability to work.
    4. You move but don’t provide your new address to the Social Security Administration.
    5. You’re convicted of a crime and spend more than 30 consecutive days in prison.

    Because Social Security denies the majority of first-time applications, you may have a better chance of winning approval with the assistance of an experienced disability law team.

    You have the right to appeal Social Security’s denial decision, but you must do so quickly. In addition, the process and evidence they’ll ask for are more involved than when you filed your application in the first place.

    Geary Disability Law is ready to help you at every step of the process.

    Getting Social Security Disabled Adult Child benefits can protect your sense of independence and dignity.

    When your needs match what DAC benefits were designed for, we want to see you getting the full benefits of this program.

    Call Us Now!

    Social Security Disability FAQs

    It’s only natural for you to have many questions when your life has been disrupted by health problems and you need financial assistance. Get started on your path forward with our answers to some of the questions we hear most often:


    Hear from a Geary Law Firm Client

    “Helped me every step of the way, and won my case for me. I am not rich, and he had my best interests at heart. I would highly recommend him, as I have already done, several times”

    Kim Burr in Google Reviews


      Skip to content